Carrawburgh is the settlement name where Brocolitia, a fascinating third-century auxillary fort, can be found. Close to the fort are the remains of a temple used by the mysterious cult of the Roman God Mithras and a sacred well dedicated to the Celtic water goddess Coventina.
- Location: Humshaugh, Hexham, Northumberland, NE46 4DB – A68, A6097, signposted off the B6138.
- Nearby: Hexham 8 miles, Humshaugh Village 4 miles, Corbridge 12 miles.
- Opening times: un-serviced, 365 days.
- Parking: pay & display car park, east of the fort.
- Facilities: none, reached through a field, parts of which are uneven and can become muddy. Not suitable for wheelchairs or buggies. Please be aware that the site is also prone to flooding in wet weather.
- Things to do: walking.