In Roman times Carlisle was known as ‘Luguvalium’ and was an important fort and civitas. Carlisle is a bustling, modern regional centre that is proud of its rich heritage. It’s the place to be for culture, heritage, the great outdoors, sports and study.
- Location: Cumbria, North West England.
- Nearby: Hexham 38 miles.
- Opening times: not applicable.
- Parking: various locations, charges may apply.
- Facilities: accommodation, pubs, restaurants, shopping centre, museums, parks, leisure facilities, historical sites.
- Things to do: walking, cycling, shopping, eating, drinking, arts, culture, leisure.