Built by the Second Legion, hanging on the edge of sheer crags, Cawfields Quarry is one of the finest parts of Hadrians Wall. Not only is this a great starting pint to walk to Milecastle 42, the site is also a designated Dark Sky Discovery Site.
- Location: Cawfields, Haltwhistle, Northumberland, NE49 9PJ – from the A1, take the A69 to Park Lane near Haltwhistle. Follow Park Lane to the B6316, where Cawfields is opposite The Milecastle Inn.
- Nearby: Haltwhistle 2 miles, Hexham 17 miles.
- Opening times: un-serviced, 365 days.
- Parking: available, charges apply.
- Facilities: Public toilets, changing facilities, information point and sheltered picnic area.
- Things to do: walking.