Heddon on the Wall is home to a consolidated stretch of Wall, up to two metres thick in places, thought to have been probably completed in AD 122 or 123. Stretches of Hadrian’s Wall 220 metres long and of the Wall-ditch to its north are visible. This fragment of the Wall is the best preserved of all those so far excavated.
- Location: Hexham Road, Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland, NE15 0ED – off A69.
- Nearby: Newcastle 10 miles, Corbridge 10 miles, Hexham 15 miles.
- Opening times: not applicable.
- Parking: There is no dedicated car park but it is possible to park in streets nearby.
- Facilities: pub, garage.
- Things to do: walking, eating, drinking.