At the western end of Hadrian’s Wall Bowness on Solway was the location of the Roman fort Maia and guarded the approach from the Solway. The village is built on the site of the fort and Roman stones can be seen in the local buildings, including the Norman church of St. Michael.
- Location: North West Cumbrian Coast, Bowness-on-Solway, Wigton CA7.
- Nearby: Carlisle 13 miles.
- Opening times: not applicable
- Parking: free throughout village
- Facilities: accommodation, shops, pubs, restaurants.
- Things to do: walking, eating, shopping